April 24, 2006

Our Surly Side






whipup

Whip up - my favorite daily read - had a whiplash challenge this weekend which I couldn't resist.
I made something a little surly for that surly time of the month. I had been thinking of how silly the little packets are which the schools give our daughters all pretty and pink and how we are always trying to hide our supplies at that time of the month. Well, no more! Here is a set for those in an office (or those who work with others) whose co-workers are insensitive enough not to know better - a handpainted canvas sign with a matching necessity case. The case has the words "Yes, infact it IS that TIME of the MONTH" on the backside as well. Feel free to drape the orange danger flag stylishly at your workspace or pin it to your cubicle. At home mothers and others can use this with just as much panache. Children will learn what those bright orange colors mean even before they learn to read! Those in your personal space will know clearly how you are feeling. Maybe they will even bring you thoughtful gifts of chocolate and evening primrose oil capsules. No need to beg for kindness any longer. All will know with this set of monthly tools. The case has a tie closure, and will fit in most any larger bag, or just tote it to the ladies room as is. Being a woman has never been so obvious! I used Dharma Trading ink jet transfer paper for the typesetting of the text - "PookieFair" is the font. Heavyweight painting canvas and Golden Acrylic paints for the background and Jaquard Lumiere for the golden tones. Stitching canvas is tough for a novice like me, so I went slowly.

On this same note - there is a site for those special times when feeding our comfort food cravings without the hassle of the shopping and messing about. Plan ahead for that needy time and order an amazing baking kit from Baking Fun 4 You! Marvis, the owner and creator of the recipes has *the most* amazing whoopie pies on earth. What is a whoopie pie you ask? It is a PMS food which there is no substitute. It calms the wild beast within us and these kits are so easy to use that you can let your children make them for you while you ease your pain with some tea and a warm blanket on the couch! The photo above should explain all about the Whoopie Pies as a picture is worth a thousand words. This is not art you say? Au contraire. These beauties are high art! Art of desert! Enjoy!
The word for the day is ... indulge ... as in once in awhile, live a little extra, and use all of your senses.

13 comments:

diana said...

OMG ... whoopie pies are the best !

angela said...

susan... that is absolutely the most brilliant thing! love it...

i absolutely love it!

oxo,

ang.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious and very clever!
And that whoopie pie photo is just plain cruel to a former Maine girl now out in the heartland! (But I still have my little handwritten recipe...)

tina said...

Thank you for the Whoopie Pie info - that will be utilized sometime next month. I also love your tampon storage case - tres chic.

Pat said...

Susan! Brilliant & surly; what a girlie combination for any time of the month. So apropos to the challenge & to those surly times . . . and what better time to indulge in sweets or other comforts like PASTA. Love it love it. And Tina is right-on: "tres chic". If still needed one, I would definitely covet it. Pat

Susan Schwake said...

Yes, marvis' whoopie pies are the very best I have ever had. Even better than the coveted receipe from a French Memere who really knew her stuff.Thanks for all the nice words towards my surly side case and flag! Hormonally yours,
Susan

Anonymous said...

I posted here earlier, but it doesn't show? Anyways, I wanted to tell you that I think your little pouch is wonderful! I especially love the gold scrolls! My 11 year old just started her period last week! and me in the midst of Menopause... Its been real surly around here! My husband feels cursed, although he's a great referee... We have decided to allow a few swear words at this time of month, and hitting the wall, is OK if its an outside wall... So you want to come to California? Well perhaps we should trade places sometime... a certain time of the month...

andrea said...

I needed the laugh ~ thanks, Susan. And anything that sends chocolate my way is worth its weight in gold!

Lady K said...

That's so funny! I'll stay away from the chocolate goodness though.. Too many Fat Spy points!

I love sewing and decorating maxi pads as art... And I once worte a poem about my period. It's good to embrace the whole experience.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

now, that is honoring the red goddess!! Those cream puffs look like floating delicious clouds, send them my way!!

Unknown said...

Susan I love this post. Although I am about to do my happy dance of no more monthlys I wish I had this packet years ago. Why not honor and celebrate the goddess within. The Whoopie Pies look wonderful.

Anonymous said...

what a cool idea. i get so tired of my supplies floating around in my bags gathering dust & grit. and a danger flag... can i keep mine flying all month long?

Cally said...

What a fantstic and inspired piece, well worthy of a prize! And it is highlighting to me that I obviously haven't visited whipup recently. I'm getting so behind with my regular reads cause I keep linking off in bizarre directions.