September 21, 2006

Italy and fall ... continued



Another treat from Tom Glover and the Tuscany show. I still can't believe I painted (ok Mattie did the actual painting labor ... ) this wall "ZEST" but I just adore the color on our folding wall to create our special window. People come in and say "Wow, I could see this glowing from across the street". I think, ah, it will never be white again! It IS rather seasonal in color ... which brings me to this snap from last night ... a trip to the fair ... the birds and the beasts were there ...

Here are a couple of NH raised Alpacas which captured our hearts and made me feel planted more firmly in my quest to become a weekend knitter. Their yarn was the definition of soft and hand spun and hand dyed. Sorry the photos didn't come out of that gorgeous stuff. If I could knit, it is the only yarn I would use. It was incredible. Softer than anything on earth. I only wish they had named one of these guys Tina.

If I were as talented as Jennifer White and could knit, I could make a fun knitted/felted bag like this one she dropped off at the gallery last week ... isn't it a great change of season/attitude bag? The little art button closure is lovely too! If you click the image, it should show a bit more detail.

Jennifer White felted stripe bag
Finally, as they defy explanation via words ... a final shot from the fair - amazing pumpkins grown for their sheer size ... the weirdest looking vegetables on earth. I am convinced they came from outer space and landed here to win a prize and to just oogle us. The pumpkins. My German husband just can not get over these beasts. Actually, neither can I. I know they MUST do this sort of thing all over the USA, but I just haven't seen it ... tell me about your pumpkin story ...

The word for the day is ... grasp ... a new bag, a new concept or "at straws".

12 comments:

Pat said...

Don't you just adore autumn! September is my favorite month. Susan, like you, I love yarns and fibers and long to knit. I visit yarn shops just to inhale the fragrance and touch the merchandise and dream of making something. Perhaps, we'll learn together..........Pat

andrea said...

Autumn has definitely arrived in NH! I think the painting against the Zest wall looks *fantastic*.

Lady K said...

I love drawing/painting pumpkins. I hope I have some time to do that this fall...

I actually keep some of my fall/halloween decor up all year round. I especially like how the orange pumpkins complement my blue microwave. The color is so tasty.

Was that a clown with the pointy hat?

Funky Finds said...

omg! those pumpkins are fabulous!!!

LadyLinoleum said...

I *heart* big ole pumpkins...

I think that wall color is fabulous. One of the bedrooms in my home is painted that color. I love it.

Those alpacas are so sweet!

Unknown said...

This is my favorite time of year. I love the colors the smell and the brisk air.
beautiful color Susan

diana said...

love the zest wall...love the picture of the fair

Susan Schwake said...

Dear fair lovers - that photo is not a clown per se, it is a manniquin in a pointy hat with a lei! I have no idea why it was there, but sharp eyes Ms. Lady K. I thought it was right in line with those big old pumpkins! strange but true....

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

The fair!!! I forgot about this autumn treat!! Fairs in France? No.

And never have I seen such gigantic pumkins!! Puts a new twist of Peter the pumpkin eater!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, definetly seperated twins. How old are you? I'm 39 and have always been suspious of my so called birth family.
I just linked to you on my blog. An oversite that I hadn't done it before.

Madeleine said...

i thought that the people in the background had been super imposed as those pumpkins surely can't be real. i am with you husband on this.

i love the 'zest' wall. i used to have a kitchen this colour, and i now miss it.

oh and i also love the handbag (i am a handbag girl).

so far i love it ALL.
:)

Judith HeartSong said...

Alpacas are wonderful gentle animals, and I love that bag.

Happy Fall.

Judith