September 25, 2006

Janet Bolton


images from Janet Bolton's website

While strolling around JuJu's blog today I found a link to Janet Bolton. Her work is so simple and touching without a hint of being twee. I wish I could hop over to the exhibition - ORIGINS - the London Craft Fair, which seems to be overfilled with very special contemporary art. Click away here to see more of Janet Bolton's beautiful images and read her statement. She gives workshops as well, which if I were in the UK, would most definitely take!
The word for the day is ... whisper ... as in quietly speak, just a bit of this or that and a tone which I appreciate in my studio.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved Janets work, and whisper seems like such a beautiful way to describe it. She has a way of doing so much with so little...

andrea said...

Oh oh oh -- I LOVE her stuff. It's got strong compositional tension, is very original, her medium is unique and I adore the simple motifs.

Stop introducing us to such great art, Susan! I'm getting overloaded here.

Anonymous said...

Her work is pretty incredible, isn't it? It just makes me so happy to know that there's so much creativity in this world!

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with her work the first time I saw it. Amazing composition.

Anonymous said...

I learned of Janet's work in a book by Kaffe Fassett's quilts...in an article she stated, "The world would be a better place if people had a go at making things".........her work proves that less is more...Kathy Z

Anonymous said...

I am a student teacher and I have found that her simple motifs work very well when do activities with my children, they enjoy using a variety of materials and I feel happy letting them loose on their art work. I have noticed an improvement in their creativity just by having them experience new types of art using unusual materials which would normally go to waste.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to take a workshop from Janet in Nova Scotia last year. She does come to the States about every other year. I loved every minute of it, she is a phenomenal teacher and a wonderful person. I have loved her work for years and was ecstatic to meet her in person and buy a couple of her pieces!