October 11, 2011

Interview with Kelcey Loomer - mixed media artist


Summer Cocoon by Kelcey Loomer

I am so thrilled to introduce Kelcey Loomer here via a little interview we did last week via email. We love her work at the gallery and we wanted to dig a little deeper into the back story - so here it is folks!
Also - quick announcement that Fern was the lucky winner of Kath Ricketson's book so shoot me an email Fern with your mailing address and we can get that right out to you.

First I want to share Kelcey's artist statement with you and then move on to the "Five Fast Ones" interview with Kelcey ...

I think of my paintings as abstract maps, where the marks of time and emotion leave traces on the surface. My work focuses on the act of looking inward to feel a connection to the mysteries of life; how the connections to our ancestors, our own past, and to the present moment are all intertwined. My paintings have a unique depth to them that is akinto being in a room where the wallpaper is peeling, revealing hints of color and style from the past inhabitant. They are emotional landscapes that look inward for a sense of place...

At an earlier point in my life I wanted to become a biologist. Although I choose a different path, flora and fauna have always captured my attention and imagination. They play in integral part in my paintings both subconsciously and often as conscious symbols. The process by which I create involves many steps. I start with a wooden panel and begin applying layers of antique book pages, ledgers, maps, notes, translucent papers, and inks with glue. After these dry I sand them repeatedly until the surface is soft and the layers blend together seamlessly. The complexity of the layers (between 8 to 10 in all) is tempered by the subtle colors and texture, giving the viewer a place breathe and rest their eyes.

artesprit:

What name do you go by online and do you have a different name for your blog or shop?


KL: Mostly I like to go by Kelcey Loomer, but my buisness name (Etsy shop & blog) is Sweet Mess. A long time ago I found a tee shirt that I thought was en-scripted with the words "Sweet mess". It turned out that I read it wrong, and it actually said "Sweetness", but the image of sweet mess and how it was the perfect name for my art stuck with me. My process of creating is extremly messy with layer upon layer being glued, cut and sanded. In the middle of the process is this incredible sweetness and satisfaction of doing something I love.


artesprit: What art do you find really exciting right now?


KL:I love art that tells a story.

Internet access only came to my neck of the woods 3 years ago. In a way that was previously unattainable, I can now see art from around the world in my livingroom, and I am constantly in awe by all the beauty. Here is a link to some recent favorites I posted on pintrest.


artesprit: What sort of day is a good art day for you?


KL: The best art days are ones where my husband <3<3 stays home with our two children and I get to go into my tiny studio and work all day long.


artesprit: Do you like working out of your normal medium? if so what do you play with?


KL: I studied printmaking and book arts in college, and I still love working in those mediums.


artesprit: What sort of music inspires you?


KL: I listen to a wide array of music. At the moment I am loving a live Leonard Cohen album. Music influences my artwork greatly. Sometimes I will listen to one album or even song on repeat while I work on a certain section of a painting because the music matches the mood of what I am creating.


artesprit: If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have one medium to work with, what would it be and why?


KL: If I had to choose I would happiest with a nice pen, a few paints, and a book of nice paper. Although I am sure there would be amazing resources on that deserted island. Being a mixed media artist, I see art making potential in everything around me. :)


Above are some of Kelcey's work which we have in the gallery and each piece is beautifully layered imparting incredible transparency and depth. The photos do not do the justice as in most original artwork - you just have to see them!

No comments: